Bath treatment constitutes the basis of the medical and healing treatment of Lake Hévíz, but it is also important to emphasise such unique medical treatments as mud-pack, the famous weight bath, different types of medical massage and drinking cure.
The healing treasures of the thermal water are complemented by the medical effects provided by the natural environment. It means that the green trees around the lake and the released steam which extends in a cap-like shape over the lake create a joint effect.
The recommended duration of medical treatments in Hévíz is 2 weeks, but our guests may stay for shorter or longer treatments as well. A traditional one or more-week medical treatment usually starts with a thorough examination by a specialist, mainly a rheumatologist doctor, and is followed by special treatments, which are carried out by expert professionals.
The therapy treatment of Hévíz includes mechano-, balneo- and physiotherapy treatments, the joint application of which have a combined effect.
The manager and operator of the thermal lake is Hévíz Thermal Lake and Saint Andrew Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases public company, which offers its guests a wide range of services. The treatments offered in Hévíz not only have an immediate healing effect, but prevent the recurrence of pain for several months ahead.
* Rheumatic locomotive problems for all kinds of degenerative calcification problems (arthrosis, problems of the vertebra and the cord system, minor joint and disc problems - spondylosis, spondylartrosis, discopathia).
* Inflammatory arthritic and spinal complaints in a resting stage (arthritis, poliarthritis, eg.: PCP, spondylarthritis, eg.: Bechterew-disease). For joint gout problems it is efficient only if the acute stage is over. However, the symptoms of chronic arthritic problems can be efficiently relieved.
* Rheumatism in the connective tissues (diseases of the muscles and ligaments).
* Secondary arthritic diseases, arthritic problems related to metabolic disorders (eg.: gout)
* Disorders of the endocrine system.
* Inflammatory arthritic problems related to skin diseases (eg.: arthritic and vertebra disorders related to psoriasis).
* After fractions, accident injuries and operations of the locomotive organs (mainly fractions of the limbs) in a state that is suitable for rehabilitation.
* Chronic problems of the peripheral nervous system, which have mechanic reasons (eg.: ischialgia, polyneuropathia, paresis).
* Treatment before and after arthritic surgery post-treatment after surgery of herniated disc (discus hernia).
* Malignant tumours (in a state which requires surgical treatment or medication).
* (Decompensated) heart diseases causing circulatory disorders, vascular diseases, high blood pressure (if the appropriate level cannot be set or if it causes problems in the organs), severe atherosclerosis, coronary sclerosis, after heart attack (if prohibited by physician), severe vein problems (vein thrombosis).
* Any acute inflammatory diseases (vein inflammation and active state of arthritic inflammation).
* Any type of acute and chronic infectious diseases (eg.: TBC, hepatitis etc.).
* Leukaemia, any severe diseases of the blood forming organ, severe anemia (leukaemia, anemia, haemophilia).
* Asthma in case of frequent accessions.
* Active ulcer (stomach or bowel), kidney problems, kidney stones.
* Sudden fainting fits (epilepsy, Adams-Stokes syndrome).
* Chronic alcoholism, severe liver cirrhosis.
* Weeping eczema, extended sores.
* Hyperthyreosis with problems in the organs, uncompensated diabetes, sudden weight loss/growth.
* During the first 6 weeks after X-ray therapy treatment.
The radioactive medicinal mud which thickly covers the lake-bed is also worth mentioning. The unique medicinal mud of Hévíz contains organic and inorganic substances, and the radium salt and reduced sulphides also have special healing effects.
The bed of Lake Hévíz is covered by a 1-7 metre-thick layer of natural, mainly organic medicinal mud, which is dark-grey by colour and soft by texture. The thermal water and medicinal mud were formed in the Pannonic-sea tens of thousands of years ago, and they are suitable for complex physiotherapy treatments, and for the treatment of all kinds of rheumatic and locomotive diseases.
The medicinal mud is applied as mud-pack during the treatments. According to the opinion of specialist doctors, a maximum of six body parts can be wrapped in mud at a time. The main effect of medicinal mud is to keep the hands and body parts warm. The duration of the mud treatment is 20 minutes, after which at least a 30 minute period of relaxation is recommended.
Weight bath is an underwater treatment, which aims to remove the vertebrae from one another, thus stretching the spinal column. The stretching process renders the restoration of the original and healthy condition of the discs possible. Weight bath is a painless treatment as the elevating power of water brings the body in a relaxed state, and the weights stretch the spinal column in a most indulgent way. During the treatment, the guests are anchored on the neck and/or under the arms, practically hanging in the water while different weights of 2, 3 or 5 kilograms – depending on the state of the disease – are fixed on the back and/or the ankles.
Weights applied in the weight bath may be attached to the body in 3 different ways:
* one point (neck only)
* 2-points (under the arms)
* 3-points (neck and under the arms)
The weight must be fixed to the patient’s body as instructed by the medical doctor, with a maximum of 20 kilograms at a time.
Duration of treatment: 20 minutes
Water temperature: indifferent (34-35°C)
The methods of weight bath treatment was invented and developed by Dr Károly Moll in Hévíz. This treatment is recommended for patients with problems in the neck, back and the spinal column, but it is also suitable for the purposes of prevention.
Besides bath therapy, the specialist doctors of Hévíz recommend different healing massage as the main elements of traditional therapy treatments for the guests. The healing massage is not a pampering wellness massage. Its healing effects are much more significant than the relaxation feeling provided by an ordinary wellness massage.
Generally, a short, 10-15 minute-bath in the thermal water before the massage is beneficial as in this way the soft tissues are relaxed, thus making the massage more efficient, after which the patients feel much better.
Healing massage include Swedish, reflex-zone (segment, connective tissues, periostealis), lymphatic, sport and refreshing massage.
The classical Swedish massage extends to the whole area of the body, and aims to massage the muscles, tendons and joints. It improves the operation of locomotive functions, and relaxes exhausted and painful muscles.
Foot reflex zone massage stimulates reflex points. These points are connected through nervous paths to the reflex centre of the central nervous system.
Furthermore, the massage services also include lymph massage, sport and refreshing massage.
Underwater massage or “tangentor” is a special type of massage. The massage is performed by the intensive water stream, which during the initial period may also be painful. During the “tangentor” treatment, the guests lie in a physiotherapy tank. The intensity of the water stream is applied on the body through a thick tube by the assistant. The vibration of water impregnates the connective tissues, thus enhancing the renewal and flexibility of the skin.
Electrotherapy treatments are performed by electrical energy. There exist low-, medium and high-frequency treatments. Low-frequency treatments include ultrasound, magnetic circle, diadynamic, ionomodulator, sonopuls, stymat, sonodynator, dionin and endomed treatments or cryotherapy, which is especially suitable for the treatment of recent arthritic injuries by the application of low temperature air flow.
There exist thee major types of high-frequency treatments: decimetre waves, microwaves and short waves. During the treatment, high-frequency machines enhance congestion in the tissues by using the heating effect of electrical energy.
The essence of these treatments is that low-vibration energy is sent to the painful body parts through two electrodes, when the patient has a slight itchy feeling. Electrotherapy treatments expressively enhance healing. They are especially beneficial for ligament injuries.
Among the different therapy treatments offered in Hévíz, drinking cure received significantly less attention than its beneficial effects would deserve it. However, the official effects of the drinking therapy using the thermal water of Hévíz can be obviously experienced by those suffering from acute gastro-enteritis and digestive disorders.
Of the use of the sulphuric water of Hévíz as a drinking cure Dr Noémi Gyarmati says: “It can be successfully used for enhancing intestinal activity and the generation of gastric acid, or in the case of acute bowel inflammation, constipation or haemorrhoid. It also reduces biliary disorders, and enhances the healing of upper respiratory tract infections. Thanks to its radon content, it can be also used for relieving pain. Furthermore, not as part of a drinking cure, but for rinsing it can be successfully used for treating acute stomatitis.”
Naturally, just like every other thermal water, there are contraindications for using the healing water of Hévíz: the consumption of the sulphuric water must be avoided in the case of acute hepatitis and cholangitis, or increased thyroid function.